Dr. Eric Nkansah
Dr Eric Nkansah is the Director-General of the Ghana Education Service (GES). Over the years, he has worked as a subject teacher (both at Junior and Senior High Schools), banker, lecturer, and policy maker.
Between the years 2000 and 2006, he taught at Christian Education Complex Junior High School and Kintampo Senior High School both at Kintampo.
In 2007, he joined Barclays Bank of Ghana (now Absa) where he worked for about six years and rose to the position of Sales Manager.
In 2010, whilst working with the bank, he lectured part-time at the Business School of Garden City University College, Kumasi.
In 2012, he left the bank and took up a full-time lecturer position at Kumasi Technical University and a part-time lecturing job at the Graduate School of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST).
He rose to the position of a Senior Lecturer at the Kumasi Technical University. Dr Nkansah contributed immensely to teaching, research, programme development, and other academic work to the development of these universities.
In 2014, Dr Nkansah founded Career Spring Institute, a licensed tuition provider for training members of local and international professional bodies and specialised consultancy for small, medium, and large corporations. He worked as the Executive Director and a Lecturer at the Institute.
In April 2021, he joined the Ministry of Education on secondment from the University as the Director in charge of Tertiary Education and a Technical Advisor to the Minister for Education. He contributed immensely to the formulation of educational policies at the Ministry. On 19th October 2022, H.E. the President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo Addo, appointed him as the Director-General of Ghana Education Service, a position he holds presently.
He holds a PhD in Financial Economics from the University of Zululand, South Africa, a Master of Business Administration (Finance) from KNUST Business School, Ghana, and B. A (Hons) Economics from the University of Cape Coast, Ghana. He has attended many educational conferences (both local and international), including conferences organized by the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
Dr Eric Nkansah has published widely in peer-reviewed academic journals and he is a member of the Chartered Institute of Bankers (ACIB), Ghana. He also serves on the following boards, committees and governing councils:
1) Chairman, West African Examination Council (WAEC), Ghana
2) Member, The Ghana Education Service Occupational Pension Scheme (GESOPS)
3) Member, Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC)
4) Member, Eman Capital Microfinance Board
5) Member, University of Education, Winneba
6) Member, Koforidua Technical University (KTU)
7) Member, Junior Achievement (JA) Ghana
8) Member, Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Committee, National Schools Inspectorate Authority (NASIA)
9) Member, National Sports Authority (NSA)
10) Member, Capital Market Master Plan Working Group, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
11) Member, St. Louis College of Education
12) Member, Chartered Institute of Bankers
Dr Eric Nkansah is passionate about educating and developing people and believes that educating the population is the fastest way to transform our country.