As one of the Divisions at the GES Headquarters, the Basic Education Division has the main section and three other units: Early Childhood Education Unit (ECE), Private Schools Unit and the Girls’ Education Unit (GEU).
The Division envisages a country where all children of school-going age have access to quality basic education and complete irrespective of: gender, geographical location, socio-economic status of parents, physical and psychological conditions.
The Division is to ensure effective and efficient delivery of basic education in the country.
Role of the Division
Generally, the Division performs the following roles:
- Ensure the supply and distribution of essential teaching and learning materials to schools.
- Keep accurate data of basic schools, both public and private, in the country.
- Submit regular reports on basic education delivery to the Director General.
- Enhance the capacity of districts to support head teachers, SMC/PTA and DEOCs to promote effective and efficient delivery of basic education.
- Oversee the implementation of policy guidelines for all basic schools in collaboration with relevant authorities.
- Supervise the activities of civil society and non-governmental organizations in basic schools.
- Propose basic school academic calendar for approval by the Director General.
- Liaise with West African Examination Council (WAEC) in the administration, conduct, and monitoring of the Basic Education Certification Examination (BECE).
- Collate and analyse, BECE results nationwide and submit report to the Director General.
- Process and make recommendations for approval for the opening and absorption of newly established Junior High Schools.
- Facilitate the conduct of national and international competitions for pupils in basic schools.
- Collaborate with the Physical Education (PE) Unit to organize national celebrations for basic schools e.g. Independence Anniversary and President’s Independence Day Awards.
- Make recommendations to the Director General on the formulation and development of basic education policies and guidelines.
- Undertake periodic monitoring and evaluation of interventions to improve basic education delivery in the country.
Specific roles of the units under the division
Early Childhood Education (ECE) Unit
The Unit is headed by a Director II. It oversees kindergarten education in the country and supports the Department of Children to oversee pre-school education (0 – 3 year olds). It:
- Provides periodic support for ECE providers to promote efficient and effective delivery of Early Childhood Education.
- Develops and reviews national policy on Early Childhood Education.
- Recommends for approval the establishment of kindergartens.
- Undertakes periodic inspection of kindergartens.
- Enhances the capacity of Early Childhood Coordinators in the regions and districts to improve supervision.
- Liaises with Development Partners, NGOs and other ECE providers to improve Early Childhood Education in the country.
- Develops strategies and programmes to enhance Early Childhood Education delivery in the country.
Private Schools Unit
The Unit is headed by a Deputy Director. It:
- Collaborates with the Secondary and Technical/Vocational divisions to oversee private education delivery at the pre-tertiary level.
- Coordinates activities of private schools (Basic, Senior Secondary and Technical/Vocational Institutes, including, Computer Training Schools and Professional Institutes) across the country
- Considers requests for approval to run private school/institution and submit recommendations to the Director General.
- Prepares and updates annually, a national register of private schools in their various categories.
- Supervises and supports private schools to improve on their delivery.
- Liaises with Supplies & Logistics Division for supply of syllabuses and textbooks to private schools.
- Keeps data on all private schools in the country.
- Enhances the capacity of private schools coordination to improve supervision
- Undertakes periodic inspection of private schools in collaboration with district and regional private school coordinators.
- Advises and explains government’s policies on private education to proprietors/proprietresses of private schools
- Submits regular reports through the Divisional Director to the Director General
Girls Education Unit (GEU)
The Unit is headed by a Director II. It:
- Collaborates with the Secondary and Technical/Vocational Education Divisions to oversee the education of the girl child at all levels of pre-tertiary education – Basic, Secondary including Technical/Vocational Institutions.
- Develops strategies to enhance enrolment, participation, retention, transition and learning outcomes of girls in basic and secondary schools.
- Collaborates with partners to research and disseminate findings and recommendations to appropriate agencies on girls’ education
- Collaborates with Development Partners and NGOs to promote girls education in the country
- Keeps data on girls education in the country
- Oversees the development and empowerment of girls through the introduction of interventions in schools
- Develops strategies to monitor and protect girls in schools.
- Enhances the capacity of Girls’ Education Officers in the regions and districts to promote girls education
- Submits regular reports on girls’ education through the Divisional Director to the Director General