To increase access to quality education and training of learners and young people with disabilities and special educational needs in an Inclusive School Environment leading to employable skills for economic and independent living.
To work towards the creation for equal educational opportunities for learners and young people with disabilities and special educational needs through the promotion of suitable and sustainable support structures in an inclusive school environment.
The Special Education Division works towards the creation of equal opportunities for learners and young people with disabilities and Special Educational Needs at the pre- tertiary level through the efficient management of resources, provision of suitable and sustainable support structures in an inclusive school environment.
PROGRAMME OUTLINE/UPCOMING EVENTS
- Monitoring of all Special Schools and Inclusive Education focus districts to enhance efficiency and effectiveness in learning outcomes.
- Extension of Inclusive Education theory and practices in 10 districts out of the remaining 196 Districts.
- Provision of transitional vocational facilities and capacity building for teachers in the Special Schools
- Capacity building teachers on the SAFE SCHOOL concept for the Special Schools.
- Capacity building of teachers using the IE Manual.
- Capacity building of Sign Language for teachers in the schools for the deaf.
FUNCTIONS OF THE SPECIAL EDUCATION DIVISION
- To facilitate effective administration of Special Schools.
- Provision of educational facilities and services for children and young people with Disabilities and Special Educational Needs (SEN).
- To transcribe textbooks and other reading materials into Braille.
- Screening and Assessment of children for early identification, correct placement in schools and other interventional measures.
- Capacity building of Special Teachers across the sector at the pre-tertiary level.
- Provision of appropriate Teaching and Learning Materials and Assistive Devices for learners at the pre-tertiary level.
- Ensure and facilitate the timely release of feeding grants to special schools.
- Supervision and monitoring of special schools and units.