The Technical and Vocational Education Division (TVED) is one of the Ten (10) Divisions of the Ghana Education Service (GES) Headquarters responsible for implementing pre-tertiary Technical and Vocational Education under the Ministry of Education (MoE).
To provide relevant and quality Technical and Vocational Education and Training Skills to meet Ghana’s socio-economic development.
To create enabling environment for the youth to acquire quality demand-driven TVET employable skills and general education to enable them fulfill the country’s TVET human resource requirements.
- Organize and supervise the delivery of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) in institutions at the pre-tertiary level in the public education system
- Provide supervisory oversight over Technical and Vocational Institutions in the private sector that follow GES/TVET Examinations.
- Develop and review curricula for TVET courses
- Conduct TVET examinations and awarding corresponding certificates for all its courses
- Collect and collate data from TVET Institutions
- Conduct research on TVET issues
- Assist in exposing students at the Basic and SHS levels to a range of practical activities in collaboration with the relevant Divisions of GES to make them familiar and to stimulate their interest in TVET programmes so as to give them the opportunity to choose their future careers in either the technical, vocational or general education field
- Equip students who have completed Basic Education with TVET skills to enable them enter into gainful employment in the industry.
- Equip students with relevant productive and entrepreneurial skills related to TVET courses to prepare them for self-employments.
- Promote increased participation of women in education, training and employment in the TVET Sector.
- Provide sound academic foundation for TVET delivery and for further education for those students who may wish to continue their education during their working life in the context of lifelong education.
UNITS OF THE DIVISION
The Division has Seven (7) Units as summarized below:
Programme Development and Supervision:
- Curriculum Development, Review and Training
- Supervision of public and Private Institution
Human Resource and Industrial Liaison:
- Instructor and Management Training
- Industrial Attachment
- Tracer Studies
Finance and Administration:
- Budget Preparation and Implementation
- General Divisional Administration
- Accreditation of Institutions
Statistics, Research, Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Collecting and collating Statistical data in Public/Private Institutes
- Making follow-up to monitor and evaluate delivery of programmes
- Conducting research to help review courses
Women in Technical Education (WITED), Guidance and Counseling:
- Encouraging females to pursue male dominated courses
- Providing Guidance and Counseling Services to Basic School pupils to pursue TVET
Technical Examinations Unit:
- Conduct of GES TVET and National Secretariat in Office Management Examinations
Award of Certificates
ICT (supporting research and other IT activities)
- Facilitating the integration of ICT into TVET curriculum to enhance TVET Delivery
- Coordinating ICT activities in Technical Institutes
- Training for ICT teachers
- Collecting and collating Statistical data in Public TVET Institutes